Plans and elevations
If you decide to build, adapt or use Design For Place for your project please get in touch. We are keen to collect your stories, pictures and videos to share on the site—and hope to provide options to interact with other users building with Design For Place soon.
Design For Place showcases sustainable, modern design. The architect-designed house plans feature a large main bedroom with a generous walk-in-robe (WIR) and ensuite. There is also an open plan living and kitchen area with cathedral ceilings, bathroom and laundry. The flexible, functional floor plans are available for longer blocks in two size options: 3 bedroom plus study (Option 1A) and 2 bedroom plus study (Option 2A), both include a single car garage.
Features include the dramatic ceiling line, extra highlight windows, and generous room sizes including a study capable of accommodating two adults working together. The study can also be used as an additional bedroom.
If your block has north to the street a 3 bedroom + study courtyard house (Option 3A), is also available (floorplan only). Central courtyards assist in providing opportunities for north-facing glazing on the majority of living spaces, you will need to develop elevations and full plans for this option.
Other features include:
- Reverse brick veneer construction in selected locations and a burnished concrete slab to give high levels of internal thermal mass.
- Significant amounts of good quality north-facing glass to provide high levels of natural light in winter and a good connection to outdoor living spaces.
- Open, generous living spaces that provide some flexibility in furniture arrangements and a good sense of liveability.
- Large overhangs and eaves in appropriate locations—these can be adjusted in size to respond to different climate conditions where needed.
- Sun-hoods to east and west windows to assist in control of solar gain in summer.
- Openable windows and doors on multiple sides of most rooms to allow for good levels of natural cross- ventilation.
- High openable windows over north-facing sliding doors to allow for night-time flushing of hot air when required.
- Generous bedroom sizes to provide options for bed sizes and inclusion of desks if desired.
- Good opportunities for integrated storage, including significant storage in the garage.
- A combination of lightweight and masonry external cladding to provide additional interest to the exterior.
- A southern courtyard that can be used as a refuge in summer and assist in cross-ventilation of main living spaces when required.
The 3 bedroom + study (Option 1A) is a single detached dwelling suitable for a typical suburban block of just over 500m2, with north to a side boundary. The design is aimed at providing a compact, energy-efficient and flexible home.
The 2 bedroom + study (Option 2A) is a single, detached dwelling suitable for a typical suburban block of just over 500m2, with north to a side boundary. The design is aimed at providing a compact, energy-efficient and flexible home that appeals to families and ‘down-sizers’.
For details of all the materials and finishes view the full specifications.
The key features of Options 1A and 2A are:
|Option||Bedrooms||Study||Garage||Bath||Area (m2)||Garage (m2)||Total area (m2)|
|3 bed + study (1A)||3||1||1||2||172||22||194|
2 bed + study (2A)
Please note, when you download the plans ensure you print to A3 paper in order to be at scale 1:100
You should also download the full specifications for your climate zone to give to your architect, designer or builder.
3 bedroom + study: Complete set of plans and elevations
3 bedroom + study: Individual plans and elevations
- 3BR + Study Floor Plan
- 3BR + Study Site Plan
- 3BR + Study Wall Setout Plan
- 3BR + Study Window Schedule
- 3BR + Study Roof Plan
- 3BR + Study Sections Sheet 1
- 3BR + Study Sections Sheet 2
- 3BR + Study 3 Facade Options
- 3BR + Study North and West Elevation
- 3BR + Study North and West Elevation Alternative Facade
- 3BR + Study North and West Elevation Gabled Roof
- 3BR + Study South and East Elevation
3 bedroom + study: Courtyard version (floor plan only)
2 bedroom + study: Complete set of plans and elevations
2 bedroom + study: Individual plans and elevations
- 2BR + Study Floor Plan
- 2BR + Study Site Plan
- 2BR + Study Wall Setout Plan
- 2BR + Study Window Schedule
- 2BR + Study Roof Plan
- 2BR + Study Sections Sheet 1
- 2BR + Study Sections Sheet 2
- 2BR + Study 3 Facade Options
- 2BR + Study North and West Elevation
- 2BR + Study North and West Elevation Alternative Facade
- 2BR + Study North and West Elevation Gabled Roof
- 2BR + Study South and East Elevation
Download the specification for your climate zone to give to your architect, designer or builder along with the plans and elevations.
- Adelaide specifications
- Brisbane specifications
- Cairns specifications
- Canberra specifications
- Darwin specifications
- Hobart specifications
- Melbourne specifications
- Perth specifications
- Sydney specifications
Please note the Design For Place house plans and content are only available on this website and are not featured in the Your Home book.